Cost: Free. Options for EasyReader Premium subscriptions for personal and educational use.
App | Platforms:
- iOS devices: iPhones and iPads
- Android devices: phones and tablets
- Amazon Kindle Fire tablets
- Windows PCs
Mac version available with EasyReader Premium subscription
EasyReader App provides free access over 40 accessible book libraries worldwide including Bookshare Ireland.
Membership to Bookshare Ireland is available free to people with print impairments, including visual impairments and dyslexia.
Set up your membership using the links listed in EasyReader App.
Most useful for:
EasyReader is a free app which makes reading more accessible for readers who are visually impaired, have a neurodiverse condition such as dyslexia, or any other print impairment.
Sign in to Bookshare Ireland to find, download and read accessible books.
Its key features are:
You can use EasyReader App to:
- Browse and download books from accessible libraries, e.g Bookshare Ireland
- Read books with accessibility features
- Read more formats: Copy text from anywhere on your device and read or listen to it in EasyReader App
- Reads a range of formats including DAISY, ePub, MS Word, HTML and text files. EasyReader App also reads books received on PDF, CD, DVD, or USB.
- Navigation Features:
- Easy navigation, skip to pages, chapters and headings.
- Search for keywords and phrases.
- Add bookmarks and notes to help with studying.
- Choose from a range of voices and set the reading speed
- Amend pronunciation as required
- Play narrated audio books or read with Text-To-Speech (TTS).
- Visual features:
- Read with magnification, text-to-speech or audio
- Read along as you listen: Text is highlighted on screen in synchronisation with speech as its read aloud.
- Choose your preferred fonts, including dyslexia-friendly fonts
- Customise colours of text, background and word highlights
- Adjust letter and line spacing
Our Top Tips
Customise the features to read your way:
- Partially sighted readers can use magnification and colour contrast or read along with audio.
- Readers with dyslexia can use colour overlays and dyslexia-friendly fonts, and read along with audio.
- If you prefer to read audibly, you can choose your preferred voices and the reading speed. Navigate easily to find your place.
- Use the bookmarks and notes feature to help with study, add notes to the text as you read.
Demonstration of the EasyReader App
Video source: Dolphin Computer Access, Youtube Channel
More information: EasyReader App Website
Get More Advice:
If you are a student in Higher Education, speak to your Assistive Technology Officer or Disability Officer /Learning Support Officer.
If you are a Student in the FET/ETB then it may be possible to speak to an Educational Needs Coordinator, Learning Support Coordinator, Student Access Officer, Student Support Coordinator or a Disability Support Officer for more information about assistive technology.
If you are an Employee and are interested in this technology then speak to your Disability Liaison Officer (public service) or your Line Manager to start the conversation.