Our Week Online
Wednesday, 17th January 2018
Every wednesday we round up the most interesting disability/education/employment related stories from internal/external sources that we've come across and posted on our social media over the past week. Below you can find this week's:
- Appwatch: Camscanner (free basic version for android & iOS) let's you scan documents on the go and save/email them as pdfs. Great for when you are researching in the library and want to grab a few pages for later use!
- People with hidden #disabilities in the UK could soon be entitled to blue badge car parking permits under Department for Transport proposals.
- We've designed instructions & learning materials for an introductory professional development course on #UDL. These materials are freely available to institutions interested in rolling it out locally. Find out more on our website.
- How can you make your #workplace more #inclusive and #accessible?
- Video Fri: #MentalHealth and Mental Well-being Whether on #Campus or in #Work? - Dr. Emma Farrell
- "It is critical to enrich the #STEM #learning environment to accommodate all #students and give them the tools they need to succeed"
- If you're a #student having trouble choosing your subject choices, this blog will help you figure it out.
- If you missed our WAM event 'Staying AHEAD of the Stress', you don't have to worry, you can catch videos of the presentations on our website now.
Wednesday 17th Jan 2018
- Appwatch: Designed for a wide range of users, this calculator has large colorful buttons, optional high contrast, full #VoiceOver support, and unique to this calculator; the option to use speech for answers, button names and formulas
- A run through of what the #DARE scheme on #CAO is all about and how you can apply
- If you're a #learner with an interest in #UDL, inclusion in #education and want to attend our Conference on March 20th/21st, enter this draw for a chance to win a free ticket to the event
- The Health Service Executive (HSE) and the child and family agency Tusla are reviewing the cases of almost 500 #children with #disabilities in care, following an investigation.
- If you're thinking of a #career in #education have a look at our INTO series, you'll find some tips and advice for #students with #disabilities seeking to enter a course/career in teaching.
- Ahead of our Conference in Croke Park March 20/21st we're asking people in HE/FE to share their example of a barrier to an inclusive campus/edu. Tweet us & let us know what problems at institutional,faculty or student support level you face #ElephantAHEAD
- Video Fri: Elise Roy,#disability rights lawyer and #design thinker, believes when we design for disability first, you often stumble upon solutions that are better than those when we design for the norm"
- 'People with #disabilities are not always easy to spot. The Australian Network on Disability places the number of people who use a #wheelchair at 4.4%, while the number of people with a disability is reported at around 18%. '
- If you're a more visual #learner concept maps could be a great way to help you #study
- Want to know more about AHEAD and UCD's Universal Design in Teaching & Learning (#UDL)? Have a look on our website and register for our workshop on Jan 31st
- From today, leaving Cert #students can now get free #maths tutoring on Facebook from @TheMathsTutor
- Appwatch: Idea Sketch, a free app, allows text to be turned into diagrams (flow charts, mind maps and concept maps)
- How #image #descriptions can make #socialmedia more #accessible to #blind and #visuallyimpaired #users
- If you're planning an #erasmus #year or looking to #study abroad take a look at our #guide to all the different things you'll need to consider as a #student with a #disability heading off to experience a different part of the world
- "132,000 #people with #disabilities were living in consistent #poverty in 2015 and the consistent poverty rate for these people was 22% in 2015, compared to a #national average that year of 8.7%"
- Reminder to anyone filling out #CAO you must apply and indicate you want to be considered for #DARE by the 1st Feb and fill out the #online #application form for DARE by 1 March. Find an application timeline here
- Have a look on our website for a draft schedule of our Conference 2018, Let’s Bring the Elephant into the Room - Reshaping the #inclusive environment in #further & #higher #education #elephantAHEAD
- Video Fri: As part of our INTO series, Therese Danaher from @DublinCityUni talks about #supports for #student #nurses who have #disabilities
- This woman created a #fitness #programme to help #mentalhealth after finding exercise helped her #anxiety and panic attacks
- There are still some places left on our upcoming AHEAD Start Course, our blended #learning #training #course on supporting #students with #disabilities in #further and #higher #education. More information on our website
- This #article offers some a#dvice for #parents when talking to their children about #disability
- Have you got January #exams in #college? Here's some tips on achieving #balance and getting the most out of #study
- The #Dáil is finally set to vote on ratifying the #UN Convention on the rights of #persons with #disabilities this February
- @firstfortnight is a mental health arts #festival that challenges #mentalhealth prejudice through #arts and #cultural action. You can find a list of events here
- Appwatch: Designed for a wide range of users, Talking Calculator, has large colorful buttons, optional high contrast, full VoiceOver support, and unique to this calculator; the option to use speech for answers, button names and formulas
- Have you got January #exams in #college? Here's some tips on achieving #balance and getting the most out of #study
- Appwatch: DEAL Talking Tags is a talking label maker/#reader #application, #designed in support of #accommodating the access needs of individuals who are #blind
- According to Social Justice Ireland, only 31pc of working-age people with a #disability are #employed. Failure to #include people with #disabilities in the #workplace is a major loss to #society.
- Rebecca, a #Deaf writer and dance #teacher, discusses #assumptions as a barrier to #inclusion for people with #disabilities
- This #student in America, who is #blind, challenged and changed her #university after dealing with #accessibility issues in her #STEM course
- Have you had a look at our new INTO series? Each section relates to a different #career path or aspect of #college life and is designed to help #students with #disabilities get started on their college journey.
- Protesters yesterday called on the #Government to ratify a #UN convention it signed 10 years ago but has not acted on to guarantee #equal human #rights for people with #disabilities.
- Video Fri: Into DARE for Students with Disabilities
- These apps can help #students improve their typing #skills
- Appwatch:BrainInHand offers personalised support to users with #autism & #mentalhealth & #SLD with daily activities.
- These #students highlight the challenges in getting to a truely #inclusive campus, not only infrastructure!
- The important #assistivetech that is already in the mainstream.
- What grants are available for help #employers support their #employees with #disabilities?
- What are the benefits of #online #course evaluation and #assessment?
- Video Fri: Top 5 Tips for #Employers #Recruiting #Graduates with #Disabilities.
- #College can sometimes feel overwhelming. Here's our tips to make the most of your college experience.
- Considering #studying abroad? Here's what supports are in place for #students with #disabilities on #Erasmus.
- Poor #mentalhealth costs the UK economy up to £99bn each year with 300,000 people leaving work due to mental health.
- Appwatch: Clips (iOS) is a video editing app - great feature which allows you to dictate captions and auto sync.
- This infograhpic goes through, facts, myths and famous people who have #dyslexia
- @Aware free #programme helps users manage #stress, #worry, #anxiety or #depression. Register and find out more here
- Are you an #employer? Know what government #grants are available for #inclusion of people with #disabilities at work
- Video Fri: #Irish #students with #disabilities talk about their views on #teaching, #learning and #assessment
- It's World Osteporosis Day, @AbilityNet show how #tech and #computers can help those who have #osteporosis
- 5 tips for #teachers with #students that have #dyslexia
- Looking to get to #college? Our DisAbility Acess Map helps you plan your route to college
- Doris explains her journey with #depression, from reaching out to friends, #diagnosis, #treatment and #working
- App watch: #Accessible Literacy #Learning helps non-verbal students learn to read using component skills
- How many people in your office have a #disability? This article looks at the cost of #discrimination in America
- 5 truths about #dyslexia and why children with the #learning difficulty are often left behind
- Have a read of our guide to creating #accessible documents
- Video Fri: My Letter to Dyslexia by Vernon François
- Ireland's first freedom #tech event will be held this month
- The Irish Times discussed the quality and ease of #access to #education for #deaf children
- Are you clued in to the #legislation around #access to #education and services for people with #disabilities
- Solas looks at linking further #education funding with performance to help meet #skill needs
- Appwatch: Dragon Dictation is a voice recognition application that easily turns voice to text or email messages
- How #technology is making #STEM more accessible for #students with #disabilities
- Do you have an upcoming #interview? Here's our tips on dressing for success
- Read James' story of his social #anxiety disorder on @SpunOut
- Are you a #graduate wondering what the next step is? Here's some ideas
- Have a read of this Survival Guide for #students with #dylexia in #college
- Video Fri: Why college matters for people with disabilities
- The New Economics Foundation (NEF) developed Five Ways to Wellbeing, ways you can feel good and function well
- Our top tips for new #students with #disabilities starting #college
- The #valuable campaign wants #business leaders to put #disability on their boardroom agenda
- Taoiseach acknowledged shortcomings and problems in the #disability sector and indcates increased funding in budget
- What are the benefits of joining clubs and societies in #college?
- UCL (University College London) Engineering has opened a global #disability innovation hub
- This video gives tips to #employers and #employees with #dyslexia to help understand #workplace barriers
- UCC are offering #law taster #classes for 5th and 6th year #students in February
- Projct ABLE is a tool to enhance the #Employment potential for Job Seekers with #Autism by looking at employer needs
- Appwatch:Brainscape is a flashcard creator and sharing app that allows users to customise timing settings
- Delighted to be attending @gradireland #gradfair on Otcober 4th which will have #ISL interpreters on the day
- We are delighted to launch,with UCD #Access & Lifelong #Learning, our #Digital Badge initiative, find out more here
- #Disability organisations have launched a #campaign to highlight the danger of obstructing public spaces
- Video Fri: Challenging Assumptions, barriers to inclusion
- People with #disabilities in the UK apply for 60% more #jobs than people without disabilities before being #employed
- Why the world expert on #Asperger's took 30 years to notice condition in his own son
- Find out all about our WAM programme and its success on @gradireland blog ahead of their #gradfair on Wed in RDS
- Read how @gradireland have made their #Graduate #Careers Fair #accessible and how to register for free attendance
- Appwatch: Dragon Dictation is a voice recognition application that turns voice into text for documents or emails
- @guardian want to know your experience of #accessiblity in cities
- #Graduates, #engineers and people with #disabilities paired up for this #hackathon in Canada
- Video Fri: UCD #graduates tell their stories of #diversity on #campus
- #CEO Jessica May discusses #inclusion in #employment and her experience of #diversity at #work
- SCFE will have an open day on 22nd November as part of #college awareness week
- A guide for #students when preparing for #college open days
- Are you a final year in #college? Here's a start to making a #plan for after college
- Trinity #college has opened a Centre for Ageing and #Intellectual #Disability
- Appwatch: Voice Dream Reader reads documents aloud, and can be tailored to every reading style and level
- If you're starting #college @TheUSI have tips on managing your #finances
- Have a look at what's coming up in #ISL Awareness Week
- What value could #volunteering have during your time in #college
- This #report looks at how the #mentalhealth of #school #students is managed
- Video Fri: Towards Firm Assessment Goals & Flexible Assessment means in higher education - from #udlAHEAD 2017
- We're delighted to be at the launch of ISL Awareness week in the Mansion House this morning
- Taking notes in #college is an important skill, this #article has some #tips on effective #notetaking
- @NCBI_sightloss are hosting a #Sightless #Cinema on September 27th in The Lighthouse Cinema
- Appwatch: Idea Sketch, a free app, allows text to be turned into diagrams (flow charts, mind maps and concept maps)
- If you haven't got an offer for a #college course, you still have options
- Could #selfemployment be a better option for people with #disabilities?
- What should you expect from your 1st year in #college?
- More people with #disabilities are leaving #jobs than starting them in the UK
- Video Fri: An Inclusive Practice Toolkit for Academic Staff - Deborah Gibberd at #udlAHEAD 2017
- AHEAD shared some prospective on what #students with #mentalhealth difficulties need to succeed in #college
- Interested in finding out more about #college? Our college fair for people with #disabilities is not to be missed
- How can an online #college course be made more #accessible?
- The CEIA in Cork are offering free #maths tutorials to #leavingcert #students from September to December 2017
- If you're starting #college find your route with our #DisAbility #Access Map
- Wondering how to create an #inclusive teaching environment for people with #disabilities?
- #Mentalhealth expert lists 5 questions #students ask #teachers about mental health and how to answer them
- Are you wondering how and if you should #disclose your #disability to an employer? Read some of our advice:
- ‘She has a language difficulty – not a learning disability’ - #deaf student thriving with the right supports - Times
- This festival achieved '#disability gold' status for access to live music
- Appwatch: iTalk is a text to voice app that can be used as an #AAC device for #communication
- @SpunOut explains all you need to know about your #CAO2017 options and what to do now
- Does the answer to the #employment gap for people with #disabilities lie in attitudes in higher up positions?
- If you didn't get an offer from #CAO2017 make sure to check out the available places option.
- This article explains how @amazon #Echo can aid people with a #visionimpairment
- Have questions around accepting your #CAO offer? @IrishTimes goes through some FAQs when it comes to #CAO2017
- What it the truth about and what does it mean to be an #empoweredlearner?
- How Microsoft Word can aid #learners with #literacy #disabilities
- Read more about the #valuable campaign, aiming to tackle #disability exclusion in the #workplace
- Watch former AHEAD staff member talk about attitudes to #disability in the workplace on @TV3Ireland yesterday
- Today is the last day to book a place in our Autumn class for AHEAD Start
- Video Fri: Review of 3rd Level transition supports for 1st year students within a #UDL Framework.
- ‘Why won’t you have sex with me?’ A real look at #disability & relationships - Irish Times.
- Essentials for the start of the #college year from SpunOut.ie.
- #Deaf children and their families fight to be heard - Irish Times feat. AHEAD stats.
Wed 23 August 2017
- Appwatch: RealCalc Scientific Calculator for android is a user friendly calc app with lots of great memory functions
- Does the answer to the #employment gap for people with #disabilities lie in attitudes in higher up positions?
- SpunOut explains all you need to know about your #CAO2017 options and what to do now
- Read what we had to say about supports available for people with #disabilities in #college in #Ireland
- Congrats to everyone receiving #CAO2017 offers, here's what you can expect from your first year in #college
- #Disability didn't stop this woman from getting her #lc and receiving her dream #CAO offer
- Video Fri: Challenging Assumptions: Barriers to Inclusion - Paddy Turner (NADP) at #udlAHEAD
- Video Fri: A student’s integrated apps journey: accessibility for the road ahead - from #udlAHEAD
- What can you expect in your first year at college?
- Thinking of getting an #lc script reviewed? Read some advice on the #appeals process
- Are you starting college in September? Read our FAQs for any worries or questions you have
- The #UDL framework emphasizes the importance of building expert #learners,here's the top 5 tips to achieving this
- Here's an #ISL Plain English video explaining the Make Work Pay #report from the #DSP
- Received your #LCresults today? If you're heading to college know what your #disability service can do for you
- Well done to all who recieved #lcresults today! Read how this #Paralympian juggled her sport and the #leavingcert
Wed 16 August 2017
- Appwatch:Prizmo scans documents, imports them to other apps or calendars and has a build in #text-to-speech feature
- Starting a new job? Kepp up to date on all #legislation on rights for people with #disabilities it the #workplace
- Are you a #student expecting #LCresultstomorrow? Here's what to expect
- Congratulations to @WesoChannel for raising almost €7,000 for @IrishDeafSoc by swimming the English Channel
- How is #education is being changed by #technology advances?
- What does #Brexit mean for Irish employees with #disabilities?
- This two women talk about managing a working life living with limited energy due to #chronicillness
- Video Fri: Mental Health Matters: How #UDLpractices benefit students with #MentalHealthdifficulties.
- Have an interview coming up? Here's our top tips for getting prepared
- Five things you need to know if your child is waiting for #leavingcert results
- Tips for students, teachers and education leaders on making a goal a successful achievement, from Harvard
- Read this #Blind man's story of obtaining his law #degree as a refugee
- College lecturers criticised plans for education ranking they say focuses on student satisfaction.
Wed 9 August 2017
- Appwatch: Speak it! is an advanced text to speech app, it can read anything from emails, texts, articles to documents
- Developments in the US to bridge gap in progression to third level
#education between #Deaf and hearing students.
- A mother of child with a
#disability discusses needs in #education and why a diagnosis is not a bad thing
#students than ever are being offered early #CAO places
- This quick quiz can help you identify
#disability discrimination and how to deal with it
- This website gives people without
#dyslexia an insight into what people with it experience when reading
- This US programme aims to rise employment levels for
#students with intellectual #disabilities
- Video Fri: The
#Deaf Student Voice: Experiences of #ISL Interpretation in Higher Ed - from #udlAHEAD conference.
- This business man talks about living with a disability and how it hasn't stopped his entrepreneurial aspirations
- A free Assistive Technology Catalogue will help employers understand what to offer to colleagues with
- Randy Lewis from Walgreens, gives tips on an inclusive
#workplace including focusing on people not processes
Wed 2 August 2017
- Appwatch: Any.do is a free task manager with a to-do list, calendar, and assistant to make organisation easier.
- Malawi become 30th state to ratify #MarrakeshTreaty on access to books for people with print disabilities-more here!
- Growing student numbers & reduced staffing placing quality of grads ‘at risk’ in higher ed - state review underway.
- Katie Novak explains Universal Design for Learning through a dinner party analogy - simple and effective!
- Fantastic Ted Talk by the wonderful Sinead Burke aka Minnie Melange - Why design should include everyone.
- Just 4 days left grads with a #disability to apply for 12 month #WAMplacement with DELL as Graduate Account Manager!
- Video Fri: The 2 Way Learning Street: How Mentoring Benefits All - Christel Berg at #udlAHEAD 2017.
- The protest and power of #disability activism: 'It's not as sexy as gay rights or climate change' - Guardian
- Students hoping to head to college in September - check out these 8 money saving budget apps! - Spunout.
- Heading to college in Sept? Get some easy tips on eating healthy on a budget from Spunout!
Wed 26 Jul 2017
- Appwatch: Adobe Scan turns your device into a powerful portable scanner that recognizes text automatically (OCR).
- Eating disorders and me: Steve James' story - BBC News.
- We are either super human or a burden - Lee Ridley on his forthcoming stand-up show 'Inspiration Porn’.
- How cool is this? The UK's first sign language poetry slam - BBC.
- Video Fri: Embedding Universal Design - Partnerships for Success - from #udlAHEAD conference 2017.
- If you are a student with a #disability considering Erasmus, check out MappED!, a new tool on access in EU colleges.
- Save the Date - Conference 2018 will be in Croke Park on Mar 20-21st. Let's bring the elephant into the room!
Wed 19th Jul 2017
- Appwatch: Dragon Dictation allows you to easily dictate emails, texts and more with your voice.
- Eleven beautiful drawings inspired by the university #MentalHealth crises – Guardian.
- As a #deaf student, I'm used to being excluded. Universities must do better - Guardian.
- 'Sometimes in pubs people think i'm drunk, but it's just my co-ordination' - life with #dyspraxia - BBC.
- Video Fri: Addressing the ‘Why’ of #UDL within the Teaching for Understanding Classroom - from #udlAHEAD conference.
- Check out MappED! -new website & app with college access details for students with a #disability considering Erasmus.
- 'My vision is like looking through a straw' - what it's like to be born #deaf and go gradually #blind - BBC.
- Beneath the surface - 3 people reveal the challenges of living with a hidden #disability - BBC.
- Martine Wright: They are penalising people who have really got a #disability - piece on effect of UK #austerity.
Wed 12th Jul 2017
- Appwatch: Cite This For Me (prev. RefMe) is an ingenious referencing app - scan book barcodes & get full reference!
- #Disability is the last frontier in inequality - and Leo should get that - opinion piece in the Independent.
- Five things that you must know in order to get a student grant - Independent.
- Interesting new 2 year #Autism Studies course staring September in several colleges across Ireland.
- Counting down to #LeavingCert results day - Spunout.
- Video Fri: #UDL & Reasonable Accommodations –the systemic changes required in Higher Education in Ireland.
- Alec Baldwin film criticised for casting actor in #blind role - Examiner.
- Amazon have just added Audio Description for the #blind to 100+ titles on their video service - more of this please!
- Extra 975 special needs assistants to be hired by September - Irish Times.
Wed 5th Jul 2017
- Appwatch: Microsoft Dictate is a speech to text add-on for microsoft office. Dicate emails, slides & Word docs!
- The European #AccessibilityAct is not something new and unreasonable - simply a means to implementing the #UNCRPD.
- Cost of going to college in Dublin? €12,495 a year with rent - Irish Times.
- Cool - Local doctor born with #disability gets custom 3D-printed exam gloves - weartv.com.
- Video Fri: Doing what we preach: examining the contradictions of #UDL discourse in faculties of ed - from #udlAHEAD.
- Nice simple overview of Universal Design for Learning from Understood.org - core concepts explained!
- Designing for #disability: the businesses breaking down barriers - Guardian.
- If you are an Xbox user with a #disability, handy to know that it has built in accessibility features!
- Great Ted Talk - How a #blind astronomer found a way to hear the stars.
Wed 28th Jun 2017
- Appwatch: To Do brings all Microsofts productivity nous into a simple, effective To Do app.
- Watch: Jamie Oliver talks about his experience of school with #Dyslexia and being labelled 'thick'
- From braille to Be My Eyes – there's a revolution happening in tech for the #blind.
- Listen: Why are so few people with a learning #disability at work & are interviews the best hiring method? -BBC Ouch
- UK followers - great #Dyslexia Directory here from the Codpast #Dyslexia podcast.
- Thousands to alter college choices before #CAO ‘deadline day’ - Irish Times.
- Did you know that the TV series version of Disney's Little Mermaid featured a #deaf mermaid who used #SignLanguage.
- This new #disability friendly water park in Texas looks the business! - Examiner.
- The #SignLanguage Interpreter Is the New Hero of Music Festival Season - Marie Claire.
- Have your voice heard by participating in this important NCBI international Braille survey!
- Exploring the connection between physical health and #MentalHealth - SpunOut.ie.
- New online directory of college courses available in Ireland has just launched - check out courses.ie.
Wed 21st Jun 2017
- Appwatch: do something smart with your summer by learning on a range of subjects through The Great Courses Plus app.
- Why #depression is never your fault - SpunOut.ie.
- Want to know more about Irish Sign Language & maybe learn some? Interesting facts here from Irish #Deaf Soc!
- US rapper Chance invites American Sign Language interpreters on tour - TV3.
- Letter from our Director to the Irish Times on lack of access to apprenticeships for students with a #disability.
- Minister McGrath seeking to make public transport more accessible - Examiner.
- Video Fri: Learning by doing - European examples of Universal Design for Learning - from #udlAHEAD conference.
- Why is a valuable alternative to the #LeavingCert being neglected? - Irish Times.
- The uncertainty of life after graduation - Spunout.
Wed 14th Jun 2017
- Appwatch: Fun one for #LeavingCert season - Musical.ly let's you star in your own Music Video.
- Things i'd want to see if I wasn't #blind - Tommy Edison.
- Exam diary: My dog helps me deal with the stress of it all - Irish Times.
- How we teach our children: Third level is not for everyone but there are a number of alternatives - Examiner.
- Video - #Deaf Singer Mandy Harvey Earns Simon's Golden Buzzer With Original Song on America's Got Talent 2017!
- Video Fri: How teacher trainers can coach students during internships with diversity in mind - from #udlAHEAD event.
- How to stay healthy during exams - SpunOut.ie.
- #LeavingCert: ‘The harder I study the more seizures I get’ -17,000 students will require exam support in weeks ahead.
- Researching students with a #disability in higher ed? Play with the interactive tables in our Data Centre!
- #Blind youtuber Tommy Edison shares his career path & talks more generally about working as a person who is #blind.
- Discrimination? 'Only 16% of people who are blind or vision impaired in Ireland are working' - Journal.ie.
Wed 7th Jun 2017
- Appwatch: Clips (iOS) is a video editing app - great feature which allows you to dictate captions and auto sync.
- Ahead of the exams, the Irish Times has wonderful diaries by #LeavingCert students - meet this year's crop!
- Independent Alliance TD Kevin Moran on why he went public about his #dyslexia - The Late Late Show.
- #Disability on Campus: 'I have decided to go public as the Dyslexic Professor' - Times Higher Education #Dyslexia
- The role of the disability coordinator within the UDL framework - from #udlAHEAD conference.
- #Disability on Campus: ‘Being #deaf creates certain preconceived notions, even to this day’ - Brenda Jo Brueggemann
- How accessible is #gaming when you're #blind or #VisionImpaired? Henshaws explore some options!
- Disability on Campus: ‘My brain has too many applications running simultaneously’ - Anna Nibs on #ASD in college.
- UK followers - get the lowdown on what the different party manifestos mean for people with a #disability here.
Wed 31st May 2017
- Appwatch: Exam Countdown lets you add assignments/exams & get a countdown for each so you can stay on top of them!
- Frederic Fovet: A reflective lens on learning - Canadian Guardian.
- #Disability on Campus: the challenges faced and change needed - Times Higher Education.
- Supreme Court rules student with #dyslexia was not discriminated against - Irish Times.
- Video Fri: Engaging disabled students in strategic projects: 2 case studies from the Open University- from #udlAHEAD conference.
- Examiner piece about #deaf piano teacher Orla O'Sullivan.
- Students still have time to reconsider #CAO choices - Irish Times.
- Number of UK university dropouts due to #MentalHealth problems trebles - Guardian.
Wed 22nd May 2017
- Appwatch: Big Oven is a student classic - enter what's left in your fridge and it gives you recipe options!
- ADI are seeking to learn more about how people with a #disability engage with the arts through this short survey.
- Make sure to watch the doc on the incredible #deaf piano teacher Orla O'Sullivan airing on RTE 1 on Thursday!
- Some nice concise and clear checklists here from EDI on good practice when employing people with disabilities.
- Video Fri: Creating a 'ripple effect' to embed inclusive practices - Paddy Turner at #udlAHEAD conference.
- Interview with Andrew Lahart, Head of Accessibility, Enablement, and Competency at IBM - he talks #blind tech.
- Elearning creators - Articulate Storyline now supports closed captions for the #deaf. Free 'how to' webinar today.
Wed 17th May 2017
- Appwatch: Class Timetable (iOS and Android) allows you to easily digitise your timetable and stay on top of it!
- While there are no accreditations in Ireland for employing persons with disabilities, there are best practices - EDI
- Listen - "My #BrainInjury changed everything" - great interview with Dave Mercer on BBC Ouch.
- Accessibility allows for broader social media engagement – Media Access Australia.
- Video Fri: The True Gifts of a Dyslexic Mind - Dean Bragonier at TEDx.
- Half of us aren't happy to discuss #MentalHealth at work - BBC.
- ‘When the racket connected with that ball, I got butterflies in my tummy’ - Independent piece on Blind Tennis.
- You don't need to be an expert to talk about #MentalHealth - Spunout.
Wed 10th May 2017
- Appwatch: Google Dictionary chrome extension - just select a word, hit Google Dictionary & you get the definition!
- Not sure you made the right course choise? Tips on using the #CAO Change of Mind Facility - Blog.
- Looking for work with a learning #disability - Lack of support at work is a huge issue - Guardian.
- Things I wish people understood about my mental illness - SpunOut.ie.
- 16 women with disabilities who are killing the Instagram #fashion game - Revelist.
- Last year 58% of appealed applications for #disability allowance were accepted on review - Journal.ie.
- Watch: the beautiful moment when a 7 year old girl shows her mates her new pink prosthetic sports blade.
- Video Fri: Organising your thoughts with Inspiration Mind Mapping - DYSboxing.
- Student start-ups: why colleges are encouraging students to be entrepreneurs - Irish Times.
- What graduates need to know about the world of work - Irish Times.
Wed 03rd May 2017
- Appwatch: Readline free chrome extension supports reading websites - reveals text one word at a time.
- Donal Toolan's death should spark us to ratify the UN Convention on Rights of People with Disabilities -Independent.
- Teenage years can be fraught for everyone, but imagine being #deaf and fast losing your sight too - BBC.
- Colleges face scrutiny over response to meeting skills gaps across industry - Irish Times.
- Meet Sue - the UK's first massage therapist to gain her qualification using her feet!
- Video Fri: Navigating deafness in a hearing world - Rachel Kolb at TEDxStanford.
- DCU aiming to create an autism friendly campus - Independent.
- 1 in 6 students drop out in first year of college - Irish Times. Shows the need for scaffolding and #UDL.
- Up to 85% of facebook video is watched without sound! Adding captions is accessible and market friendly.
- What is an 'Acquired Disability' and if your employee acquires a disability then how can you help them?
Wed 26th April 2017
- Appwatch: ATbar chrome extension offers font increase/decrease, colour contrasting & colour overlays on any webpage.
- Proactive approach needed to improve accessibility within the built environment - Workplace Insight Magazine.
- Tributes paid to 'fearless and brilliant' #disability rights campaigner Donal Toolan - Journal.ie.
- How close are we to the digital classroom of the future? - Daily Genius.
- Building the Future free careers fair for grads with a #disability -employers, #cv clinics, mock interviews & more.
- Dove using Molly, a young american #blind woman, to market their new shower foam - YouTube.
- Video Fri: Naomi, a gaming student with spinal quadriplegia, talks about the #AssistiveTech she uses in college.
- ASTI teachers to resist UK-style academy schools - Irish Times.
- Real Stories - You are so much more than your #MentalHealth difficulty - SpunOut.ie.
Wed 19th April 2017
- Appwatch: Visor is a free chome extension which helps users focus on reading text - colour dims rest of screen.
- Technology is key to reducing college education costs - Irish Times.
- Minister Bruton announces allocation of €2.4m funding to promote diversity in the teaching profession - HEA.
- TUI suggests corporate levy to bridge 3rd level funding gap - Examiner.
- Video Fri: Former Coronation Street actor Ian Puleston-Davies shares one of his #OCD compulsions - great insight.
- Fifty years on since ‘free education’, it’s time to reflect on who the system really serves - Irish Times.
- Beat procrastination: six ways to get your study back on track - Irish Times.
Wed 12th April 2017
- Appwatch: SpeakIt is a free chrome extension enabling text to speech functionality straight from your browser.
- Brother’s autism led to Minister for Health’s political career - Irish Times.
- Decision on third-level funding decision unlikely before summer end - Examiner.
- These Women Vloggers are Educating the World About their Disabilities on YouTube - Huffington Post.
- Varadkar announces employees with a disability can keep travel pass for 5 years & gentler medical card means test.
- Disability services transform students' lives, we must protect them - Guardian.
- John Servante: How my #MentalHealth meltdown led to love - BBC Ouch.
- Video Fri: Film student with #Dyslexia Hugo Hobs gives his top 3 hacks to get better grades - Ability Net.
- Interesting free conference - UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities in Ireland -May 10th.
- 'People with a #disability who take up some sort of employment will not lose their benefits' - Finian McGrath.
- Huge demand expected for reopened SUSI student grants - Irish Times.
Wed 5th Apr 2017
- Appwatch: Aipoly (iOS) tries to say what it sees - interesting app for #Blind users. In it's early stages.
- New analysis suggests 'USC-style levy' to fund third-level education - Independent.ie.
- Find a path to new learning or work opportunities with the Compass tool from Spunout - custom results just for you.
- SUSI is NOW OPEN for grant applications for the 2017-18 academic year for new and renewal students - apply early!
- "A Must for Anyone Seeking to Work in College #Disability Support Services" - AHEAD Start is now booking for Autumn.
- A new body representing Irelands IoT sector has been launched this week in Croke Park - THEA.
- Shannon Airport have created a Sensory Room for kids with #Autism + series of vids on what to expect when flying!
- VIDEO: Disability rights in Ireland hindered by '10 years of broken promises' - Irish Times.
- Brexit is a big opportunity for Irish universities, says education firm - Irish Times.
- Employers - Here's some tips from thinkbusiness.ie to promote good #MentalHealth & #WellBeing in your organisation!
- Visually impaired man wins case against State over voting rights - Irish Times.
- What are the must-have skills for today’s graduates? - Irish Times.
Wed 29th Mar 2017
- Appwatch: Learn to #TouchType for free with Typing.com. Online Tutorials, games and performance stats!
- Get AHEAD Blog: 25 Tips For Your Jobsearch - AHEAD.
- 'Some people think that every person with autism is like Rain Man, or a wizard at maths' - Journal.ie.
- Higher education 'can thrive in Ireland after UK exit' says new HEA Chief Dr. Graham Love - Independent.
- Disability Rights Protest on March 30th at Leinster House Calling on the Irish Government to Ratify.
- When Katie Novak visited Dublin for our #udlAHEAD event, she also spoke to Inside Education about #UDL & her message for HEIs.
- Europe's elected representatives vote UNANIMOUSLY to remove barriers to knowledge for ppl with print disabilities.
- Check out our recently launched #UDL Best Practice Guidelines for 3rd Level Education!
Wed 22nd Mar 2017
- Appwatch: Babylon puts translation into 75 different languages at your fingertips.
- Government eyes extra funding from business for universities - Irish Times.
- Really interesting #Aspergers radio documentary by Sinead Farrell on College Life with an Invisible Disability!
- Ratify the UN Convention for People with Disabilities NOW - Protest happening at Leinster House on March 30th!
- Meet the father 3D printing his son's arm - BBC News.
- Video Fri: Aberystwyth Uni asked staff/students how they'd react if someone told em they had a #MentalHealth issue.
- I live in constant fear that my intelligence will be judged because of writing mistakes due to Dyslexia - Blog.
- Study claims autism persists through natural selection because it makes humans smarter - Examiner.
Wed 15th Mar 2017
- Appwatch: Trouble getting up? Maths Alarm Clock makes you answer a math problem before you can turn it off.
- In case you missed it last week, why not catch up on RTE documentary #Deafening
- Video Fri: Animated Minds: Real testimony from people who've experienced #OCD - brilliantly animated.
- Are you unsure of what to wear to an interview? Check out the #GetAHEAD blog here which gives you some tips!
- On the back of last week's #AHEADeng debate, CAO reports low numbers of those applying for #engineering courses.
Wed 08th Mar 2017
- Appwatch: Oxford Dictionary of English is a user friendly dictionary app - great for quick word lookup in lectures.
- ‘Julia does things differently’: Sesame Street’s muppet with #autism - Irish Times.
- Dating When #Blind or Visually Impaired – Tips to Get You From Single and Ready to Mingle to Off the Market.
- Finian McGrath: #Disability waiting lists ‘unacceptable’ - Examiner.
- 10 Areas That Are Putting Recruiters Off Your #CV Infographic - e-Learning Infographics.
- Free event for parents of secondary school students on #MentalHealth and #CyberBullying - registration essential!
- How can colleges improve access for local & international students with disabilities? - ESN Survey Extension!
- It's time for the NUI to drop the third language requirement - Independent.ie.
- Fewer than 33% of working-age people with disabilities employed - Irish Times.
Wed 01st Mar 2017
- Appwatch: RealCalc Scientific Calculator for android is a user friendly calc app with lots of great memory functions.
- Making It Work: Three entrepreneurs with a #Disability share their wisdom & practical tips for building a business.
- Millions watch shows I make for BBC, but having #Dyslexia meant I nearly fell out of society - Abilitynet.
- The ex-trader turning disabilities into profits - BBC.
- Video Fri - I'm not your inspiration, thank you very much - Stella Young on the TED stage.
- Leaving Cert fails to equip young people for a post-truth world - Irish Times.
- 'Deafening' documentary, March 2nd on RTE, views the world through the eyes of 4 #Deaf people with different lives.
Wed 22nd Feb 2017
- Appwatch: Jumpcut for Mac allows you access to previously copied material on your clipboard. Super handy!
- Students with Disabilities: Erasmus Student Network want your views on how to make Erasmus exchange more accessible!
- Interested in submitting for next edition of the #AHEADjournal on inclusive education & employment? Get in touch!
- Music matters: Choosing the violin over walking - BBC News.
- Get AHEAD Blog - Turning My Disability into an Ability by Barry Walsh
- Video Fri: Environmental lawyer David Schoenbrod shares his #Dyslexia story & how he was called 'careless' in school
- New to Universal Design for Learning? Check out these great downloadable #UDL Tips from CAST.
- If you didn't see our report on numbers of students with disabilities in higher ed released last week, check it out!
- Things I wish people understood about my #MentalHealth difficulties - SpunOut.ie.
- Find your mock/Christmas exams stressful? Here's 10 ways to help you manage stress in the summer exams- Irish Times.
Wednesday 08th Feb 2017
- Appwatch: Easybib - academic referencing make easy with this user friendly cross platform app.
- RTÉ staff to undergo ' #inclusion and #diversity training' in order to 'fully reflect Irish society' - Irish Times.
- How Sinead Burke is making the fashion world wake up to #disability - Irish Examiner.
- ‘I don’t think I should have to go in to an interview and go ‘I’m albino’ - Sinead McManus on Tubridy.
- Video Fri: Want to know how a man without hands plays the guitar? With great style and joy, that's how!
- Living with albinism: 'I can't go into town without someone pointing or laughing at me' Sinead McManus in Journal.ie.
- #CAO applications on course to match last year’s record high - Irish Times.
- Universities need to be creative to survive, says new UCC president - Irish Times.
- It's #TimeToTalk day- let's all make an effort to really find out how people we know are really doing!
- Arts & Disability Irl have a great section on their site where you can get audio programme notes for plays!
Wednesday 01st Feb 2017
- Appwatch: Read & Write free extension for Chrome offers read aloud, word prediction, dictionary and more!
- Don't forget, if you want to apply for DARE, you have to complete basic parts of the #CAO application by tomorrow.
- What does the new #CAO Points system mean for students - SpunOut.ie.
- Career coach: 'Why over 70% of students drop out of first year in some courses' - Journal.ie.
- Video Fri: Signly app- providing virtual sign language interpretation in museums using augmented reality- BBC.
- Designing a wordpress based website? Heres some accessible themes to make it usable by all!
Wednesday 25th Jan 2017
- Appwatch: Desmos allows students plot mathematical functions on graphs and view alterations in real time.
- YouDescribe is a free service which enables you to add audio description to youtube clips!
- Excellent new website with mouse free IT guides for screen reader users - Sharons Shortcuts.
- Foreign students in Ireland face health insurance hikes - Irish Times.
- Nice research journal article about our recent study of the experience of students with #MentalHealth difficulties.
- Interesting free MOOC from Lancaster Uni starting Apr 24th on teaching a foreign language to students with #Dyslexia.
- Video Fri: Sue Austin talks about deep sea diving... in a wheelchair ...& how it changed her world view.
- If you are planning you #CAO application, check out our comprehensive guide for students with a #disability.
- Old piece from the Times on #Dyspraxia - "it is like having a filing cabinet with no files to put your stuff in.”
- Ireland’s Sinead Kane aims to become first #blind athlete to complete World Marathon Challenge - Examiner.
- #CAO countdown: Getting to grips with grants - Irish Times.
Wednesday 18th Jan 2017
- Appwatch: Socrative allows lecturers to engage their students with live multiple choice questions & instant results.
- #Deaf European Parliament presidential candidate Helga Stevens outlines her vision for Europe.
- Katie Cooke on Second Captains on her determination to run marathons despite having #epilepsy seizures while running.
- DARE advice clinics nationwide this week.
- Canadian man invents #Netflix -like service for #blind and partially sighted users.
- Video Fri: Looking past limits - Activist Caroline Casey tells the story of her extraordinary life.
- College is utterly different from school so get ready for it now - Irish Times.
- #CAO countdown: Study options abound home and abroad - Irish Times.
- Ever wonder how #deaf and #blind people experience the arts in Ireland? Here's how Arts & Disability Ireland help!
- Third-level courses should be radically overhauled, says Maynooth University president - Irish Times.
Wednesday 11th Jan 2017
- Appwatch: Pocket Anatomy (€9.99) is a must have app for students in the field of medicine/biology.
- ‘There is a tsunami of third-level students with #MentalHealth problems’ - Irish Times.
- 2016's Top #Edtech Trends - Edudemic.
- Video Fri: How Do A #Blind Person & A #Deaf Person Communicate?
- Dublin-based scientists find an area of the brain linked to #autism - Irish Times.
- Looking for work this January? We've got plenty of tips and advice to get you started.
- New website UniBrowse.ie lets you find and compare #CAO courses - incl. course summaries & previous points required.
Wednesday 04th Jan 2017
- Appwatch: Streaks helps you form good habits by giving you gentle reminders of six healthy routines you wish to make.
- Great article with Christina McCarthy, a #blind woman who'll be starting her WAM placement with Enterprise Rent-A-Car shortly!
- New website UniBrowse.ie lets you find and compare #CAO courses - incl. course summaries & previous points required.
- The NDA have released details of their 2017 #UniversalDesign challenge -have you got a product/environment/ICT idea?
- Universities wise up to the needs of staff with disabilities - Guardian.
Wednesday 14th Dec 2016
- Appwatch: Google Trips scans your email for hotel/flight reservations & provides city maps/things to see on holiday!
- Does a #disability necessarily make you 'worse off'? - Irish Times.
- 'People with disabilities are people - we deserve the same choices & respect' - Independent.
- What's the Future for #AssistiveTech? - the Codpast #Dyslexia Website.
- Video Fri: WAM's Top 5 Tips for Recruiting Graduates with Disabilities.
- How open is your office when it comes to talking about #anxiety and #depression? - BBC.
- Ireland is now the last country in Europe left to ratify UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
- Eight smart ways to use social media in universities - Guardian.
- The Power 100 lists Britain's top 100 most influential people with a #disability. Fascinating reading.
Wednesday 7th Dec 2016
- Appwatch: Breathe for Apple Watch, walks users through a short set of daily deep breathing exercises.
- 'I don't have the same civil rights as other Irish women. I have a disability' - Journal.
- League tables a reminder of inequality in Irish society - Irish Times.
- Millions Have #Dyslexia, Few Understand It - interesting radio segment from US station NPR.
- Video Fri: Did you know that 93% of people registered #Blind can actually see something?
- The linguistic challenges of learning a language with #Dyslexia -this & more in #AHEADjournal No.4.
- Funding crisis in higher education must be tackled says IBEC chief - Irish Times.
Wednesday 30th Nov 2016
- Appwatch: White Noise is a simple background noise app aimed at aiding sleep or concentration/study.
- 3 Irish students have highlighted a big issue for #deaf people with a sign language Christmas Carol - Her.ie
- 'I struggled to breathe - now I run marathons' - BBC News.
- What Teachers Should Know About #ADHD & #ASD - Edutopia.
- Thoughtless parking and designated driving: Life behind the wheel as a disabled driver - Journal.ie.
- 'I see tiny islands in a sea of black' -Helen Murphy tells her story of life with a #VisualImpairment -Independent.
- 'I found it really tough because I couldn't even type': What it's like to go back to education as a mature student!
Wednesday 23rd Nov 2016
- Appwatch: White Noise is a simple background noise app aimed at aiding sleep or concentration/study.
- The wonderful annual 12 apps of christmas project from DIT starts soon. Register if you are interested in #Edtech.
- Wonderful piece from Aoife Kirwan on her experience of college with #MS featuring upcoming #BetterOptions fair!
- "Always felt like something wasn’t quite right with me but I couldn’t put my finger on it." Zoe talks about her #MS.
- Video Fri: #Disability (Difability) Entrepreneurs as Creators of Future Wealth - Tom Cooney (TedX Drogheda).
- Enable Ireland and #Disability Federation Ireland Launch Discussion Paper on the Future of #AssistiveTech.
Wednesday 16th Nov 2016
- Appwatch: Drive to college easily with WAZE - beautiful sat nav app with traffic updates, weather warnings and more.
- Erasmus: The How To Guide - SpunOut.ie.
- #MentalHealth the biggest issue for #Disability Allowance recipients a new survey finds - Examiner.
- Exhibition celebrating work of artists with #autism encourages people to see the world differently - Standard.
- Video Fri: Dr. Esther Murphy outlines the key findings from our recently published #MentalHealthMatters research.
- Access for wheelchair users isn't just about putting in a ramp - journal.ie.
- #Dyspraxia In The Workplace: Hidden Challenges, Hidden Assets - Huffington Post.
- "A cross campus approach is needed" - Dr. Esther Murphy on the key findings of our recent #MentalHealth research.
Wednesday 09 Nov 2016
- Appwatch: Slack is a great messaging app which supports filesharing into group chats - great for group projects!
- Tips for jobseekers with Autistic Spectrum Disorder.
- Stephen Hawking's Beautiful Message For Anyone With #Depression - How to get out of a black hole.
- Still confused about the #CAO points system introduced last year? Here's an explainer.
- Students - great tips on giving presentations from Spunout.ie!
- What is Speech to Text (dictation) Technology and how does it work?
- Video Fri: New Dyslexia Association of Ireland short film explores the Hidden Potential of people with #Dyslexia.
- Rosaleen McDonagh: A woman who broke the mould of our paralysing lack of ambition for disabled people - Irish Times.
Wednesday 02 Nov 2016
- Appwatch: Gyst integrates Texts, Contacts, Calendar, & Tasks all in 1 app so you dont get distracted switching apps!
- 76,000 student grants paid so far, Susi says - Irish Times.
- Video Fri: Our WAM Programme's Top 5 Tips for Inclusive Recruitment Practice!
- Our #BetterOptions college fair for students with disabilities is only 4 weeks away!
- Microsoft claim they've developed tech that can transcribe speech as well as a human can - The Verge.
- I’m a person with disabilities. Why do I have to be a trailblazer too? - Guardian.
Wednesday 26th Oct 2016
- Appwatch: Groupon can help you eat out on a budget with great deals on local food and drink.
- Third level in distress: how colleges are coping with #MentalHealth - IrishTimes.
- Martin Naughton: A passionate campaigner for the rights of disabled people - Irish Times. Will be sorely missed.
- Exploring the Fascinating World of #Blind Photography.
- Video Fri: Shelly Baer talks about her own disability and explores it in the context of society's view of beauty.
Wednesday 19th Oct 2016
- Appwatch: The Photo Cookbook-Quick and Easy ($5) app can guide students to make quick and healthy meals step by step.
- Thousands expected to demonstrate against prospect of college loans - Examiner.
- "There's a lot of shame around it too, people go 'Ah, that's a fake condition'"-Living with adult #ADHD - Journal.ie.
- If you have #Dyslexia, the Guardian want to hear about your experience for an upcoming article - Get involved!
- No fees hike for Irish students applying to college in England next year despite #Brexit - Irish Times.
- #Deaf people marginalised, says Oireachtas report - Examiner.
- Life on the road with a #blind guitarist - BBC Ouch.
- Video Fri: #ADHD As A Difference In Cognition, Not A Disorder: Stephen Tonti at TEDxCMU.
- #Budget2017: Extra funds for higher education after a decade of cuts but is it enough? - Irish Times.
- Nice round up of all of the #Disability related points of #Budget2017 from Epilepsy Ireland!
Wednesday 12th Oct 2016
- Appwatch: English Lit students - read or listen to comprehensive study guides of 1000s of classics with CliffNotes.
- Watch: Even the simplest of public services you have access to, a #Deaf person may not.
- Congrats to SpunOut for winning a prestigous web accessibility award for the hard work they've done on their site!
- It's #Dyspraxia awareness week and there are free events running across the nation. Check out your local event!
- 'My name is Claire. I have #MS. I'm no different to anyone else' - Journal.ie special ahead of #Budget2017.
- Video Fri: What I've learned from my autistic brothers - Faith Jegede.
- Call for repeal of ban on people with intellectual disabilities having sexual relationships - Journal.ie.
- Google Europe Scholarship for Students with Disabilities - Deadline for application is Dec 1st.
- Check out Spunouts top 5 tips for new college students with #Dyslexia.
Wednesday 5th Oct 2016
- Appwatch: Brainscape allows you to create digital flashcards, taking a tried and trusted study method digital.
- Check out DisAbility Access Map, our new interactive tool for students with a #disability on their path to college.
- What supports are there to help my dyslexic son access third level? - Irish Times.
- This week is #Dyslexia Awareness Week! Find out what's happening here from the Dyslexia Association of Ireland.
- Great tips for saving as a student from Spunout!
- Video Fri: AHEAD's Caroline McGrotty talks about how every #deaf person's experience is different & tells her story.
- Supports for #deaf children in spotlight at conference for educational equality - Examiner.
- Great website detailing the #MentalHealth services available in colleges nationwide.
- Here's how a #blind man from Donegal built a business in his spare room - Journal.ie.
Wednesday 28th Sept 2016
- Appwatch: Notetalker app and accompanying microphone kit is handy for recording and bookmarking lectures.
- A third of UK workers still believe disability is still a barrier to career progression.
- Dealing with the nerve wrecking first days of college - Spunout.
- Students to protest for publicly-funded third level education - Irish Times.
- Student Mia Colleran arrives in Nice to start her #StudyAbroad & gives her first impressions - Irish Times.
- Our International #UDL Conference 2017 is seeking contributors if you've got research/practice you'd like to share!
- Will the new #CAO points system affect me? - Irish Times.
- Video Fri: When we design for #disability, we all benefit - Elise Roy on the Ted Stage.
- Great radio piece with a woman who made the terrifying journey from Syria to Germany in her wheelchair.
- Petition to make #IrishSignLanguage our 3rd official language- it's the 1st language of thousands of Irish citizens.
- Tennis for #Blind and Vision Impaired (VI) players is now running in Shankill Tennis Club! Seeking more players.
Wednesday 21st Sept 2016
- Appwatch: Remember the Milk is a very simple to do/reminder app with a fun happy go lucky design.
- You have finally got your college degree – now what? - Irish Times.
- To mark the start of #IrishSignLanguage awareness week - ISL version of our Better Options College Fair promo video.
- The #Deaf Education Conference 2016 is coming up on Oct 1st in Portlaoise. Looks very interesting this year!
- Video Fri: What I Learned Coaching a #blind soccer team - Ted Talk.
- New to college and struggling with writing academic assignments? Don't fear, our flatpack guide is here!
- Students explore ‘alternative’ study paths at Higher Options - Irish Times.
- Get a list of all subtitled cinema showings in your area here.
Wednesday 14th Sept 2016
- Appwatch: Paper is a great visual note taking/gathering tool for quick notes on the go - photos and sketches too!
- Our Executive Director Ann Heelan on 'Graduate Employability: From Stigma to Diversity' this week at EAIE 2016.
- The shortage of disabled parking spaces prevents us from participating in society - Irish Times.
- Some fantastic scenes from the #Paralympics opening ceremony in this clip!
- Video Friday special for students starting college - How to make stress your friend.
- Excellent schedule of all of the Irish athletes even't in the #Paralympics here - the42.ie.
- How to have a conversation about your #MentalHealth - SpunOut.ie.
- What a moment at the #Paralympics ceremony when George Wyndham, currently homeless, led Sierra Leone out.
Wed 7th Sept 2016
- Appwatch: Tints enables colour overlaying and font simplification on your favourite electronic docs.
- USI Calls For €140m Investment Into Higher Education - 98FM.
- Is your kid going to college? Don’t be a helicopter parent - Irish Times.
- Neo Smartpen 2 -new rival to the LiveScribe arrives on the market. Smartpens are great tools for students.
- Office 365 Targets Inclusion With Major Accessibility Update - TechWeekEurope UK.
- Video Fri: Martin Seligman talks about the new era of positive psychology.
- There is still time to apply for a SUSI grant if you haven't yet done so! - Independent.
- Coping with being pipped in the #LeavingCert points race - Irish Times.
Wed 31st Aug 2016
- Appwatch: SprintPlus PDF (iOS) offers text to speech functionality on PDFs plus highlights lines being read.
- Driving from a wheelchair: new hi-tech vehicle is a boost for drivers with physical disabilities - Independent.
- 1 in 10 people of working age in Ireland have a #disability - more interesting facts like this from DFI here.
- #LeavingCert reform should focus on ‘real world’ skills - Irish Times.
- Video Fri: Irishman Doug Leddin opens up about his depression and encourages others to do the same.
- College Choice: Students with disabilities should avail of support services - Irish Times.
- PLCs courses prepare students for further study or the workplace! - Independent.
- New college year: How student grant system SUSI works - Irish Times.
- Check out our brilliant guide to starting college as a student with a #disability - all you need to know!
Wednesday 10th August 2016
- Appwatch: CloudMagic collects email from all of your different accounts into one easy to manage inbox.
- Watch #DitchTheMonkey, Spunout's brilliant 5-part animation series promoting mental health.
- Dublin to gain nearly 1,900 new student housing places by September 2017 - Irish Times.
- The Secret Thoughts Professors Admit to Having About Accommodating Students with Disabilities - 3PlayMedia.
- New copyright bill gives those with print disabilities more access to books - step closer to Marrakesh ratification.
- Video - Tips from Spunout on how to manage #anxiety.
- European Commission publish new recommendations on the inclusion of students with disabilities in Erasmus+.
- #Deaf Awareness Training in the workplace grants now available from @IrishDeafSoc for employers!
- ICT students with disabilities - Great €8000 scholarship opportunity from Oracle and the European Disability Forum!
Wednesday 3rd August 2016
- Appwatch: Pocket lets you smart bookmark articles, videos and other online content so you can look at it later.
- Video Fri: Stanford University are experimenting with smart glasses to help kids with #ASD recognise emotions.
- SpunOut have some neat new accessibility features on their website - high contrast, large print and more!
- New #UDL toolkit for students from AHEAD and Universell Norway and SIHO Belgium.
- Dyslexic Designers challengn stigma of condition with London Exhbition.
Wednesday 27th July 2016
- Appwatch: Headspace teaches you mindfulness without being too hippy dippy -keep your college stress levels in check!
- Dublin Airport scoops major European accessibility award!
- CAO applications: higher education is not the be-all and end-all - Irish Times.
- Amazon's New Kindle Is Bringing Back This Key Feature for the #Blind - Fortune Magazine.
- Award-winning Irish film starring cast who have intellectual disabilities hopes to go global - Journal.
- Deafness is very misunderstood - one #deaf person's point of view in Spunout.
- Video Fri: UCD have a brilliant new videomap series to help students find their way around Belfield!
- Some tips towards making your website more accessible from AbilityNet.
- Euan's guide is like trip advisor for people with mobility impairments - rates quality and accessibility of venues!
- “I'm the only one who needs help. I’m not smart enough.”- this & other myths college students should stop believing!
Wednesday 20th July 2016
- Appwatch: Google Keep is an easy to use cloud based system for creating and storing audio, images, notes and lists.
- Students prepping for college - here's 5 fresh n' healthy items you can cook in a microwave in minutes from Spunout.
- Nine things you should never say to a wheelchair user - Guardian.
- What is Bipolar Disorder and how to seek help? - Nice clear and plain English piece from Spunout.
- Call to give #blind people their constitutional right to a secret vote - Irish Times.
- Absolutely love this new Channel 4 ad for their upcoming Paralympic coverage!
- Video Fri: Facebook taps artificial intelligence for users with disabilities - USA Today.
- Families could face new asset test for student grants - Irish Times.
- Rising rents push cost of college to €11,000 a year for some new study finds - Irish Times.
Wednesday 13th July 2016
- Appwatch: What new features for Windows 10 are great for student's with #Dyslexia - Dyslexia Action.
- College funding explainer - the 3 options proposed by the expert group - Irish Times.
- Have #ASD, a #HearingImpairment or #VisualImpairment? The EU Parliament want to hear your #AssistiveTech opinions.
- 'I was told I'd never write with a pen - and now I'm a teacher' : James Cawley - Journal.ie.
- Video Fri - The Myth of Average: Todd Rose on why we should design for everyone, not a mythical average student.
- Diversity makes us smarter and more innovative - Accenture’s Ellyn Shook at Inspirefest.
- Talking about #MentalHealth is hard but worth it - SpunOut.ie.
Wednesday 6th July 2016
- Appwatch: VoiceAloud will speak almost any text on Android devices and is user friendly.
- Really interesting piece about face blindness - the inability to recognise people by there facial features - BBC.
- Episode 50 of the NCBI #Blind #Tech podcast is now available.
- Audio diary of a man losing his sight turned into beautiful film about #blindness - BBC News.
- Video Fri: Steven Spielberg talks about his late diagnosis of #Dyslexia - "It explained a lot".
- "I cannot worry about any more this year" - more examples of why #LeavingCert exam supports system needs to change.
- 4 good n'simple tips from Enhance the UK on interviewing a #deaf candidate for a job - humorous too!
- Irish students in UK unlikely to face sudden hike in fees - Irish Times. #Brexit
Wednesday 30th Jun 2016
- Appwatch: Connected Mind is a free web based mind mapping tool, great for project planning.
- Video: Asten's #ADHD Survival Guide Tip 1 - BBC Social.
- Have you seen the latest edition of our practice journal for inclusive education and employment? #AHEADjournal
- Imagine being blindfolded and led across the Burren - Irish Times.
- President of the Union of Students in Ireland recalls his #LeavingCert experience in the Irish Times.
- Video Fri: The world needs Autistic minds - Temple Grandin on the Ted Stage.
- Video: Asten's #ADHD Survival Guide - BBC Social.
- Majority of respondents to a USI survey say education costs so high that they have thought of dropping out.
Wednesday 22nd Jun 2016
- Appwatch: Due is a very simple but effective reminder app which pesters you to get things done on time!
- Video: Living with #Dyspraxia - Dragon Fire Films.
- Tommy Hilfiger says his #dyslexia 'motivated' him to build his fashion business.
- Holiday tips for people with disabilities - Irish Times.
- Video Fri: #ADHD As A Difference In Cognition, Not A Disorder - Stephen Tonti at TEDxCMU
- UK fashion student with a #VisualImpairment unveils amazing #Braille inspired collection - Examiner.
Wednesday 15th June 2016
- Appwatch: Drupe melds your contacts/chats from all different messenger apps into one easy user-friendly experience.
- 'He's going to struggle': More students denied #LeavingCert supports - Journal.ie piece featuring comment from AHEAD.
- New #Dyslexia research provides insight into brain function - Boston Globe.
- Bruton to provide extra help for children in disadvantaged schools - Irish Times.
- Irish exempt students with #Dyslexia have valid reasons for taking other languages - Irish Times.
- Digital Textbook Sales Surpassing Physical Sales in the US - Edudemic. Could have #Accessibility implications!
- Vid Fri: Check out our assignment writing guide, designed particularly with students with #Dyslexia in mind.
- If you're thinking about college, you may need a loan. Read Spunouts tips on how to apply and what you need to know.
- Is someone you know experiencing #anxiety? Here's how you can help! - Spunout.ie.
Wednesday 08th June 2016
- Appwatch: Mindset is a new #MentalHealth and wellbeing app - haven't tried it yet but great reviews so far!
- ' #Dyslexia and near paralysis inspired me to start my own business' - freshbusinessthinking.com.
- Vid Fri: Tina Lowe lost her sight aged 27. At Building the Future, she talked about AHEAD, WAM and jobseeking.
- Hooray! Twitter are now supporting adding of alt text to describe images for #blind users. Heres how to activate it.
- Interesting development in UK - Labour considering appointment of shadow minister for #Neurodiversity.
- If you are currently receiving or previously received supports in college, the HEA want to hear your experiences.
Wednesday 1st June 2016
- Appwatch: Coffitivity reproduces the ambient noise of a cafe to help you boost your creativity- backed by research.
- Nine tips to triumph in the exams - Irish Times.
- Irish Times' brilliant #LeavingCert diaries is back-Conor Griffin on the terrifying/liberating prospect of college!
- #Dyspraxia may be relatively unknown but it is a common, if often undetected, condition - Examiner.
- If you are currently receiving supports in college, @HEAaccess want to hear your experiences. (survey + €100 draw).
- LinkedIn for Students: Find and Be Found - Daily Genius.
- Video Fri: A look back at the brilliant student content from our Connected Voices in Learning #UDL exhibition.
- How useful is your degree in another country? - Irish Times.
- Looking for a graduate job? The Grad Ireland #summergradfair is on 8 June. #ISL interpreters available (see link).
Wednesday 25th May 2016
- Appwatch: Swiftkey (free) takes intellegent word prediction to the next level.
- Nine revision tips you need to succeed in the #LeavingCert - Irish Times.
- Video Fri: Jasmine Rankin's story of #disability in employment -from Disability Rights UK's 'I Can Make It' series.
- “If you’re able to do something, get out and do something.” How one man is using fitness to fight MS - Joe.ie
- Amputee gamer shows off 'Iron Man arm' on UK chat show - BBC.
- Cash-strapped colleges are increasingly relying on fees from foreign students, but their are risks - Irish Times.
- Adam shares his experience of depression - Spunout.
Wednesday 18th May 2016
- Appwatch: Easybib is a web based citation and bibliography service - good web based alternative to RefMe.
- Some good tips here for those studying for exams including an interesting one - Limit Your Study Time!
- What did you say? Conor Pope goes #deaf for a day - Irish Times.
- Video Fri: Carrie Boyle's story of #disability in employment -from Disability Rights UK's 'I Can Make It' series.
- For any #Deaf followers thinking of going to Grad Ireland summer fair, there will be an ISL Interpreter available!
- If you're studying for your #LeavingCert, take a quick break and get some motivation - all this fun is ahead of you!
Wednesday 11th of May 2016
- Appwatch: Forest helps you stay focused when studying. Get a new tree for every 30 mins of distraction free study!
- Third case in recent weeks of a student taking the SEC to the high court over #LeavingCert accommodations denied.
- SpunOut are seeking young people to take this short survey on their employment needs - help them out!
- Video Fri: Beyond Inclusion - really interesting topics explored here about the future of attitudes to #disability.
- So what's bowling got to do with inclusive education? Brilliant #UDL metaphor from Shelly Moore. #disability.
- Brilliant - new EU directive brokered this week means all public sector websites and apps must be accessible!
- #Dyslexia Association's Rosie Bissett: SEC decision process is failing dyslexic students - Irish Times.
- Issue 3 of our free Journal on inclusive education and employment practice is out now!
Wednesday 4th of May 2016
- Appwatch: My Stickies web service allows you to leave virtual post its on any webpage for later - great for study!
- Is enough being done to help support those with #dyslexia in the workplace? - The Texthelp blog.
- Computer science graduates in demand, but arts graduates earn the least says new HEA report - Irish Times.
- Protest over mental health spending - RTE.
- Video Fri: The nerve bypass - Fascinating new technology allows man move his paralysed hand.
- Big news from High Court- Leaving Cert student with #dyslexia wins order overturning SECs refusal to give a 'reader'
- Only 10 deputies attended the Dail for a debate on #MentalHeath - Government, you've let us down again - Her.ie
Wednesday 27th of April 2016
- Appwatch: Trello - great project planning app to ensure tasks are completed on time. Especially good for group work.
- Missed this last week - ‘My autism diagnosis was the best thing that ever happened to me’ - Irish Times.
- 20% jump in the number of applications for DARE - Independent.
- Rising number of students exempt from studying Irish - including those exempt because of a learning difficulty.
- A new online test could help to identify #ADHD indicators early - Guardian.
- Listen: Sue MacGregor reunites five disability campaigners who leads the UK's fight for #disability rights - BBC.
- Google's philanthropy division pledges $20 million to support #disability technologies - Engadget.com.
- Video Fri: Dyspraxic man has created this 'What is Dyspraxia?' animation to create awareness.
- Dubliner Doug Leddin opens up about his depression. Brave and important words.
Wednesday 20th of April 2016
- Appwatch: Doggcatcher (Android) is a great app for subscribing & listening to podcasts - great for #study material!
- Nice list from Spunout of the do's and dont's when talking to a friend with a #MentalHealth difficulty.
- "Like being in a train station in downtown Beijing" - what it's like to live life with #autism - Journal.
- Texthelp hosting half-day seminar on digital accessibility and engagement in Dublin.
- Don Cheadle, who plays Miles Davis in a new film, says the star likely had bipolar disorder.
- Video Fri: #Blind youtuber Tommy Edison on 'What Do Blind People Find Attractive?'
- Anton Savage interviews Ann M Martin about her new book written from the perspective of a girl with #Autism.
- #Blind Berkeley scientist designs tools for the visually impaired.
- 'Let’s start by saying I have #CerebralPalsy' - Fiscal policies should not determine whether dreams are realised.
Wednesday 13th of April 2016
- Appwatch: Peak is a brain training game app which identifys your weak areas (e.g. memory) and works to improve them.
- Kerry Pace leads the Dyspraxia Ireland Summit this Saturday in Leixlip. Tickets €75 or €35 with concessions.
- We've released the data centre for students w/ disabilities in Higher Education 2014-15. Lots of interactive tables!
- Did you know that SUSI has already opened the Student Grant applications for 2016/17? Why not apply early!
- Video: When Super Mario gets injured & requires a wheelchair, Luigi steps in to Universally Design Mario World!
- Video Fri: Changing the Face of #Autism : Autism in females.
- Struggling to cope with work? Tips on looking after yourself (and others) for Workplace Wellbeing Day!
Wednesday 6th of April 2016
- Appwatch: 1Password remembers all your passwords so you don't have to. Secure password storage under 1 master pass.
- Identity 2016: Facebook lets #blind people 'see' its photos - BBC News.
- #Epilepsy and the #LeavingCert: ‘If it strikes, that exam is over for me’ - Irish Times.
- People with #Dyslexia - vote for the most readable font here.
- Should Higher Education Be Bundled, Or Unbundled? | The Edvocate.
- Can neurofeedback help treat #ADHD? New drug free treatment helps train the brain to be more effective - Irish Times.
- Molly on preparing for the #LeavingCert with #Dyspraxia.
Wednesday 30th March 2016
- Appwatch: GoConqr allows you to create online Mind Maps, Flashcards, Online Notes and Quizzes - good study aids!
- Let’s make accessibility checking as common as spell checking - It's just as easy! - AbilityNet.
- Did you know one of the 7 leaders of the #1916Rising had a #disability? Read about Seán Mac Diarmada here.
- Sites that run on Wordpress are becoming more accessible for users with disabilities.
- With no new Minister for Education elected yet, what are the key issues they will face?
WEDNESDAY 23RD MARCH 2016
- WATCH & LISTEN: Connected Voices in Learning poem from UDL AHEAD Conference 2016
- Get the UDL AHEAD Conference materials
- UDL event happening in St. John's College Cambridge - The Power of Design: Exclusion or Inclusion?
- WATCH: The Proclamation translated into Irish Sign Language
- €1m state funding may be withheld from three 3rd level colleges - Irish Times
- What are Technological Universities and are they a good idea? - Irish Times
- Five time bombs facing a new Minister for Education - Irish Times
Wed Mar 16th 2016
- Appwatch: Dragon Dictate (free for iOS) is a free and reasonably accurate speech to text dictation app.
- This Clothing Line Is Specially Created for Wheelchair Users.
- Video Fri: Special Olympics let me be myself -- a champion.
- Toyota develops wearable device for #blind people - BBC News.
- Five ways to help a dyslexic person in the workplace - BBC News.
- Students in Limerick post inspirational video on how they overcame depression and anxiety - Independent.
Wed Mar 9th 2016
- Appwatch: Splittable enables you to easily split bills with your housemates in a fair way that everyone can track.
- Matching your skills with those in demand in today’s labour market - Irish Times.
- Listen: Episode 22 of the Codpast asks is it better to focus on growing confidence than spelling ability?
- Rising student numbers and limited places mean #CAO points increases are likely - Brian Mooney, Irish Times.
- No country for young teachers: the two-tier pay problem - Irish Times.
- Hannah Rebecca blogs about the tricky issues around disclosing your #disability in employment in her latest post.
- Get info on the IASE's National Job Shadow day for people with disabilities here - 24th – 30th April 2016.
Wed Mar 2nd 2016
- Appwatch: Last shout out for our top ten apps for students!
- Nice blog post from a woman with #Dyspraxia on neuro diversity and time management.
- Opinion: Universities should train people for life, not just match them to jobs - Dr Stephen O’Brien, UCC.
- Where now for junior cycle reform? - Irish Times.
- Irish woman Lisa Carroll joined a like-minded group of #deaf swimmers that crossed the English Channel - Independent.
- Video Fri: What would the world look like if most people were wheelchair users - great (if a little outdated) vid!
- Never give a bad presentation again - Great advice for students from Spunout!
- Looking for a job when you’re disabled can be difficult, but it shouldn’t be impossible - Journal.ie.
Wednesday 17th Feb 2016
- Appwatch: Flipboard enables you to curate your own topic specific web magazines and to follow other curators.
- Alarming drop-out rates at third-level institutions - Examiner.
- The 'My Perfectly Imperfect Family' blog -Great insights into the joys/complexities of life with a #disability.
- The #blind boy who learned to see with sound - BBC News.
- 5 rules for choosing the best EdTech for you - Daily Genius.
- Video Fri: #ADHD As A Difference In Cognition, Not A Disorder: Stephen Tonti at TEDX.
- Opinion: A love of Snapchat and Twitter does not make children digital natives - Irish Times.
- Meet the voters: ‘I’d like a gold standard for accessibility’ says Vivian Rath - Irish Times.
WEDNESDAY 10th FEB 2016
- Appwatch: IF & DO (free) will make other apps work harder for you by automating certain simple tasks to save time!
- Dyslexic employee wins discrimination case against Starbucks - Guardian.
- Spelling uses multiple parts of the brain, research shows - Guardian.
- Third-level system in danger of being ‘stressed to the point of breaking’ says outgoing HEA chairman - Irish Times.
- Irish Deaf Society's proposals for new government make interesting reading - #1 support the Irish Sign Language Bill.
- Eight technologies that are changing education - Irish Times.
- With the General Election coming, Spunout take a look at accommodations on polling day for voters with disabilities.
- Classes at institutes of technology stop as lecturers strike - Irish Times.
WEDNESDAY 03RD FEB 2016
- Appwatch: Desmos is a graphing calculator - plot functions, create tables, add sliders, and animate your graphs.
- The tech giving people power to deal with #disability - BBC.
- Tips from Spunout on starting conversations with friends who you feel may be struggling with their #MentalHealth.
- Patrick Prendergast: One university size does not fit all - Interesting Opinion piece from the Provost of Trinity.
- Brilliant - Lego unveil their first wheelchair user mini-figure.
- Video Fri: What does the best college experience for students with disabilities look like? Vids from conference 14'!
Wednesday 27th Jan 2016
- Appwatch: Photo Math (free) - photograph a math problem and get an instant answer and info on steps taken to get it.
- The plan to haul apprenticeships into the 21st century - Irish Times.
- For those filling out #CAO forms, find out what your college #Disability Service can do for you when you get there!
- Ask Brian: My daughter is unhappy with her course – should she drop out? - Irish Times.
- Video Fri - "I had no choice. None of us did. When we’re judging each other we should think of that.” Sinead Burke.
- Jan O’Sullivan pledges to cut third-level fees by €500 - Irish Times.
- HSE fails to meet legal requirement on disabled staff - Irish Times.
- New DCU project aims to create an autism friendly university - Independent.
Wednesday 20th Jan 2016
- Appwatch: Office Lens turns your smartphone into a pocket scanner. Auto crops and straightens whiteboard pics too!
- Great tips from AHEAD on looking for work as a student/graduate with a #disability.
- Not getting a #CAO place *does not* mean you are a failure - plenty of good alternatives! - Irish Times.
- Beth Whitby tells her story of pregnancy and motherhood as a woman with spinal muscular atrophy - BBC.
- CAO Watch: Grant supports can cushion college costs - Irish Times.
- Exploring engineering and #STEM careers for students with disabilities.
- What is DARE and how do you apply? - Irish Times article featuring info from AHEAD.
- Video Fri: Russell Howard speaks to Jess Thom, founder of Tourettes Hero - warning, bad language & plenty of laughs.
- CAO Watch: College abroad is an option worth studying - Irish Times.
Wednesday 13th Jan 2016
- Appwatch: StudyBlue (free basic version) allows you to create and customise your own study flashcards.
- A teaching revolution - Donegal school ranks one of the top in Ireland after ditching focus on ‘chalk and talk.
- Watch the wonderful Sinead Burke, aka Minnie Melange on the Late Late Show talking about life and #education.
- Revealed: non-progression rates for higher education courses - Irish Times.
- Video Fri: How does this woman's bionic eye work? - BBC.
- Great piece on job searching by Leslee O'Loughlin, Group HR Manager of WAM Employer Enterprise Rent-a-Car.
- Bookshare is an accessible e-book service for those with print disabilities.
- Latest National Council for the #Blind Technology podcast takes a look at the new Apple TV and Sonos wireless hifi.
- 'How I lost my confidence when I lost my face' - Tammy tells her story: BBC Ouch Disability Blog.
Wednesday 6th Jan 2016
- Appwatch: RefMe is an ingenious referencing app - scan the book's barcode - get citation in 5,000 different styles.
- How technology is empowering dyslexic students - UK Independent.
- Opinion: Government’s attitude to disability rights is ‘no rush,we’ll get there in the end’- Journal.ie.
- Loads of interesting events happening in the First Fortnight festival around #MentalHealth over the next 2 weeks.
- Analysis: Funding cuts putting third-level sector under pressure - Irish Times.
Wednesday 16th Dec 2015
- Appwatch: Todoist is a cross platform task manager app with lots of great integrations including Outlook.
- Really good practical tips in this infographic on studying smarter - not harder! Good luck to all doing exams soon!
- The Dare application guide video for 2016 is now available. If you need any advice on it, call us on +353 1 592 1467
- Graduates would pay €25 a week in 15-year student loan scheme - Irish Times.
- Unskilled line managers identified by over half of all employers as main barrier to retention of disabled employees.
- Video Fri: Blind Psychiatrist Dr. Tim Cordes on his experience of navigating medical school at AHEAD Conference 2015.
- Listen: A lovely conversation between Dyslexic aunt & niece Leanne and Eloise - " #Dyslexia is a Superpower" - BBC.
- Amazing - Jessica Ruiz, a makeup artist with a physical disability, uses her mouth to work the tools of the trade.
- Great blog by Neil Milliken with his thoughts on specially designed #Dyslexia fonts & why 1 font doesn't fit all.
Wednesday 09th Dec 2015
- Appwatch: Cloud Magic - Get all your email accounts in one slick and beautiful app with oodles of integrations.
- Video: How AHEAD helps students and graduates with disabilities succeed.
- Third-level fees debate: the case for and against - Irish Times.
- My disability is just a small part of who I am. Work/relationships are basic human rights-Julie O’Leary-Evening Echo.
- Study: Staying on top of your exam workload this Christmas.
- 73% of teachers say that tech enables them to respond better to different types of learners- more stats here.
- Video Fri: Employers-what not to do when working with people with disabilities...good fun this!
- Ex AHEAD board member Vivian Rath on lack of Accessibility to core state services in Ireland.
Wednesday 02nd Dec 2015
- Appwatch: Todoist is a cross platform task manager app with lots of great integrations including Outlook.
- More simple tips from DIT's Damian Gordon that academics can use to make their teaching more universally designed.
- Proposed Student loan scheme - how it might work - Irish Times.
- Think social media isn't important for jobsearching? 79% of employers have hired from LinkedIn, 26% through Facebook.
- 7 free Dec webinars that will boost your edtech skills as a teacher - aimed at 2nd level but same principles apply.
- The brilliant @12appsDIT starts this week - last chance to register free for an app a day in your inbox!
- 10 Advantages of Online Education - Careers and Education News.
Wednesday 25th Nov 2015
- Appwatch: Slack (free) is a brilliant communication app - group messaging & file sharing. Fantastic for group work.
- Mainstream schools need vision for their #blind pupils - Irish Times.
- Video Fri: 1st #Deafblind Law Graduate from Harvard does a #TedTalk.
- Supports will now be provided to #specialneeds children for their pre-school year - Irish Times.
- NCSE calls for more special needs classes in post-primary education - Irish Times.
Wednesday 18th Nov 2015
- Politics to be introduced as Leaving Cert subject next year - Irish Times.
- Irish Times article with great insight into life with Dyspraxia.
- NCSE conference will take place in Croke Park on Nov 25th - about teacher education for inclusion & assistive tech.
- Ann Heelan facilitating a workshop at the NDA Universal Design in Education conference
- Do blind students leave mainstream schools with all the skills they need? - Irish Times
- Apple CEO Tim Cook says diversity leads to better products - Silicon Republic.
- Video: What is life like living with ADHD? - BBC News.
- Video Fri: Great little visual video showing how technology has changed the world from the wheel up.
Wednesday 11th Nov 2015
- Appwatch: Trello (iOS/Android) is a brilliant 'to do' & organisational app which will help you meet your deadlines.
- ‘The Student Hub’ to offer students a full Irish Times digital subscription at no cost - Irish Times.
- Many students feel they are not learning job skills, survey says - Irish Times.
- Universities have lowest level of students receiving grants - Irish times.
- The brilliant 12 apps of Christmas initiative from DIT is happening again this year.
- Productivity Habits of Highly Organised Digital Students - Daily Genius.
- Adele like you've never seen it sung before... in American Sign Language!
- Video Fri: Celebrating 20 years of the UK Disability Discrimination Act - Great stories from people with disabilities.
- Watch Ep. 2 of Kitchen Impossible, brilliant new C4 show where Michel Roux Jnr. trains young chefs with disabilities.
Wednesday 4th Nov 2015
- Education Across the Continuum: Innovating through Universal Design - upcoming NDA conference, Nov 12th & 13th.
- Appwatch: Claro range of apps (paid, iOS) include literacy aids like text-to-speech, magnification & scanning.
- Last shout out for our recently released research on the transition of #blind students to college. Very Interesting.
- Interesting opinion piece on the gap between evidence based thinking on teaching & learning and practice in schools.
- Reform of DARE #CAO process is great news. Removal of age limit on Psychological Reports coming in 2017 -Independent.
- Video Fri: Episode 1 of Kitchen Impossible - Michel Roux Jnr. begins training chefs with a variety of disabilities.
- 'Study now, pay later' considered to tackle crisis in third-level funding - Independent.
Wednesday 28th Oct 2015
- Appwatch: Keep your body & mind healthy at college with Runkeeper (free for iOS/Android) fitness app.
- Free lecture by See Change exploring how Hollywood has portrayed Mental Health on screen in Dublin.
- Deaf Talent, Seen & Heard - Interesting article on #Deaf theatre in USA.
- Listen: Nikki Kinzer's series of podcasts on succeeding in college with ADHD.
- Dublin’s not an easy place to be a gig-goer with a #disability - Irish Times.
- The future is bright for dyslexic students at university - The Guardian.
- Congrats to St. Mary's Deaf Choir (performed at our conference this year!) on their European Language Label Award.
- Uber is adding options to its app to help disabled customers - Examiner.
Wednesday 21st Oct 2015
- Appwatch: Cloudcal (free, android) shows your schedule in circles broken with colour - good for more visual people.
- iScoil: A virtual school for a new class of student - Irish Times.
- Check out our recent report into the Transition of #Blind Students to College. It makes for fascinating reading.
- Holding an event for people with autism? Here's what you need to know - Guardian.
- Facebook developing tool to help #blind people 'see' images on posts - the Mirror.
- Stumbled across this great Facebook group called Dyslexia Help & Support - join up if you have #Dyslexia questions.
- €3m aid for less well-off students on way - Independent.
- DJ Eye Tech: "I DJ with my eyes after getting ‘locked-in’ syndrome" - Disabled Go Magazine.
- "All I want to do is get a job" says Lorraine, 27-year-old Galway native, who has been #blind since birth - Examiner.
Wednesday 14th Oct 2015
- Appwatch: CamScanner (free basic version) acts as a scanner in your pocket. Send scanned docs to email/evernote etc.
- Why Don’t Tech Companies Care More About Customers With Disabilities? - Slate Magazine.
- If you had seven minutes to revolutionise teaching...Teachmeet allows teachers to share ideas with peers.
- How little education issues have changed in Ireland in 40 years - Irish Times.
- The Government wants to put wifi networks into classrooms - Irish Times.
- Video Fri: Irish Students with Disabilities & SLDs give views on 3rd level teaching & learning.
- Listen: AHEAD Director Ann Heelan talking on 103fm about new research into transition of #blind students to college-12 min in.
- College awareness week to target areas of low participation - Irish Times.
Wednesday 7th Oct 2015
- Appwatch: AudioNote allows you to record audio and sync with typed notes - great for lectures and meetings.
- Suicide and schools: it’s okay to talk about it - Irish Times.
- Number of public sector jobs for people with disabilities to double - Irish Times.
- Nine Irish colleges in world’s top 5% - Examiner.
- Viewpoint: Is it time to stop using the word "disability"? - BBC News.
- ‘David is 22, he has a college degree and is a wheelchair user. All he wants is a job’ - Journal.
- The Question I’m Always Asked About My Son’s Dyslexia - A Parent's Tale.
- Jobs strategy for people with disabilities has ‘significant shortfalls’ - Irish Times.
- ADHD support at third level: ‘It’s better to get help, even if you feel babied’ - Irish Times.
Wednesday 30th Sept 2015
- Appwatch: PlanbookEdu is a cloud based lesson planning app for educators. Free 'basic' account.
- Whistleblower claims learning support hours redeployed to management duties - Irish Times.
- Great read from excellent Dyslexia & Me blog on Imposter Syndrome- essentially not giving yourself deserved credit.
- What Freshers' Week is like when you're #deaf - one student's account in the The Tab York Magazine.
- 25 Best Education Apps for the iPad - Daily Genius.
- Video Fri: Animated Minds- Real testimony from people who've experienced Aspergers Syndrome - brilliantly animated.
- Industry must ramp up role in ‘funding’ of higher education - Irish Times.
Wednesday 23rd Sept 2015
- Appwatch: Letterspace is a new note-taking app which allows you to use searchable hashtags to organise your notes.
- Know how easy it is to add optional captions for the #Deaf on youtube? Make videos accessible with min effort!
- "A beautiful language with such depth" - AHEADs Stephen Lehane on #Deaf culture & learning Irish sign language.
- Undaunted: "Having a #disability and fighting for every little thing takes its toll" - the Steve Daunt Blog.
- Interesting blog post with advice for students with Autism at third level and those managing their education.
- How to use built in speech-to-text in Google Docs - surprisingly good results with this tool.
- Video Fri: Animated Minds: Real testimony from people who've experienced OCD - brilliantly animated.
- Reverse cuts to disability teaching hours, demands union - Independent.
Wednesday 16th Sept 2015
- Appwatch: Companion - virtually walk your friends home. Great for ensuring Dyspraxic friends go the right way!
- ‘Fairer’ special needs resource allocation for trial in 47 schools - Irish Times.
- Students - if you don't have access to paid mind mapping tools, use Xmind (free) to plan your projects.
- UDL: A Systematic Approach to Supporting Diverse Learners - Faculty Focus Magazine.
- "Where there's life, there's hope." - Caleb Lane on growing up with Muscular Dystrophy.
- Video Fri: Animated Minds: Real testimony from people who've experienced debilitating anxiety - brilliantly animated.
- Check out Spunout's brilliant 'Ditch the Monkey' animated series on looking after your Mental Health.
Wednesday 09th Sept 2015
- Appwatch: Nova Launcher is a prime example of how Android OS can be made to suit individual tastes better than iOS.
- Affluent areas get more special needs teaching hours - Irish Times.
- Special-needs education shouldn’t be a lottery- great piece feat. needs (over diagnosis) based pilot assessment model - Irish Times.
- The Entrepreneurial Spirit #Dyslexia Can Bring - Noodle.
- Check out MyUniplan's great collection of resources for students with disabilities transitioning to college.
- CAO points changes aim to reduce pressure on students - Irish Times.
- Video Fri: Animated Minds - Real testimony from people who've experienced Manic Depression - brilliantly animated.
- Interesting piece on Screen Readers & Touchscreen Devices & how product designers could improve experience.
- While attitudes are slowly changing, deafness remains a much-misunderstood disability - Henpicked.
- “The disability market is changing, with a new customer demand for stylish products” - CEO of the Blue Badge Company.
Wednesday 02nd Sept 2015
- Appwatch: VoxDox (free for Android/iOS) allows you to convert webpages/documents to speech and share with friends.
- 5 ways teachers can foster creative thinking with technology - Daily Genius.
- There is an increase in companies recruiting for a Head of #Diversity in a bid to have a diverse workforce.
- Introducing Gallaudet University, USA, where all academic programs are designed for deaf & hard-of-hearing students.
- NDA is seeking people in leadership roles in Irish companies to take this survey on employing people w/ disabilities.
- Joanne O'Riordan of NoLimbsNoLimits wins Outstanding Young Person of the Year.
- Canadian college students create audible puck for visually impaired players.
Wednesday 26th August 2015
- Appwatch: Focus Lock (free for Android) helps you focus on study by blocking selected apps for study periods.
- Introducing Dot, the world's first braille smart watch. Great idea!
- Wondering if your assistive tech software will work with the new windows 10 and OSX operating systems? Find out here.
- Universal Design for Learning Explained with Lego in neat little stop motion video!
- Video Fri: Tony Glynn share's his experience of Mental Health difficulties at college and what staff can do to help.
- Give the Codpast a listen - speaking to prominent people with #Dyslexia every month. This month it's Charlie Boorman.
- Irish Time Article: If you have a disability, don't hesitate to tell your college
- Ted Talk: A girl with Aspergers develops an app to help people with Autism improve their presentation skills
Wednesday 19th August 2015
- Appwatch: Mailbox (free for iOS) allows to manage a busy inbox by postponing & prioritising mail as you wish.
- NDA is seeking people in leadership roles in Irish companies to take this survey on employing people with disabilities.
- Students who achieve big CAO scores don't do better in college than those who get in by 'back-door' routes- new study.
- Video Fri: Students at Heriot Watt Uni made this short film about the Mental Health challenges of studying abroad.
- DICE are hosting a seminar on Digiplace4all-online peer support for people with disabilities developing digital skills.
- Great article in Forbes about the business case for hiring employees with disabilities & making products accessible.
- Breaking Down Barriers to Employment for Individuals with Disabilities - official blog of US Dept. of Education.
- Is our education system broken? Interesting debate piece where Dr. R Lynch says it's the Leaving Cert that's broken.
- Depression and the Leaving: you can come through it and get back up fighting - Irish Times.
Wednesday August 12th 2015
- Appwatch: Wordflex Touch Dictionary (€10.99 for iPad)- a visual dictionary with mind map style connections.
- Download the new G3ict report on how the 'Internet of Things' opens up a world of possibilities for Assistive Tech.
- Dr. Temple Grandin, Donna Williams & more talk #Autism on latest episode of Health Zone Radio.
- BBC looking at options for users to customise font sizes, colours and backgrounds for online programming.
- Video: Aberystwyth Uni asked staff & students how they'd react if someone told them they had a #MentalHealth problem.
- Irish assistance dog owners tell their story: "The change in my life has been unbelievable" - Independent.
- How tech-driven learning can benefit students with disabilities - Education Drive Magazine.
- People with disabilities need jobs, not condescension and handouts - Examiner.
Wednesday August 05th 2015
- Appwatch: Due (free for iOS) is a very simple but effective reminder app to pester you to get things done.
- SUSI Student Grant applications continue to rise this year - Independent.
- The Teacher’s Guide To Open Educational Resources - Edudemic.
- Video Fri: Being a Student is Mental - examining the issue of Mental Health in relation to progression to Higher Ed.
- Apprenticeships overhaul offers ‘viable alternative’ to 3rd level - Irish Times.
- 8 year old American boy receives world's first double hand transplant - amazing!
- Creating iBooks in the Classroom - Daily Genius.