AHEAD: Association for Higher Education Access & Disability
Creating inclusive environments in education & employment for people with disabilities.


Other Student Services

At the start of the year, you should have received a student handbook which lists all of the different services available, if not, you should browse through your college’s website which should list the services they have available. It is worth checking out to see if services are accessible to you in terms of physical access, alternative ways of contacting the service etc … Below is a list of the most common student services but it’s important to bear in mind that not all of them may be available in your college.

Click on the service below to have further information dropdown.

Student Union

Every college has a Student Union which is the representative body for the students of the college. To find out more about what Student Unions can do for you, click here.


All colleges have a library which you can use and it will be one of the most important resources you will use during your time in college. If you have a specific disability related need, you should make yourself known to a member of the library staff to find out about the additional services the library may offer, for example; extended lending service for those registered with disability or access office, a designated study or assistive technology room or a reader service.

Sports Centre

Keeping active is an important part of staying healthy, both physically and mentally during your time in college. Most colleges sport centres offer cheaper joining fees than those outside of the college and you may be able to make the most of it by visiting the centre in between lectures/classes. If you have require additional supports when using the sports centre, you should arrange an initial visit/consultation before deciding to join.

Careers Service

Most colleges have a dedicated Careers Service office which often have a career officer who can assist you with your career planning and job hunting. To find out more on the Career Service, click here.

Counselling Service

Some colleges provide a full-time counselling service while others only a part-time one. For many 1st year students, college can be a stressful and lonely time; counsellors are trained to help students cope, and you should not be afraid to avail of their expertise. You will more than likely need to make an appointment with the counsellor so check before knocking on their door. Some counselling services also offer additional support such as bereavement counselling and run stress management workshops.

Health Services

As a student, you may be on tight budget, however, it shouldn’t mean your health has to suffer, so it is worth checking out what type of health services your college offers. Some colleges have full on-campus health centres with an attending doctor and nurse and visiting dentist whilst others may not. They may charge a nominal fee for consultations, tests and prescriptions however, there can be financial assistance towards the cost of routine dental work, ophthalmic treatment and physiotherapy. Check with your health centre or your student union for more details.

Chaplaincy Service

In the larger colleges there can be more than one chaplain of either gender and/or from different religious denominations. Some chaplaincy services have quiet rooms where students can come to meditate or relax. Remember that you do not have to be practising your religion nor of the same religious denomination, to use the different services provided by the chaplaincy office. Some chaplains also fulfil the role of counsellor in the college/university.

Creating Inclusive Environments in Education and Employment for People with Disabilities

East Hall, UCD, Carysfort Avenue, Blackrock, Co Dublin.
T +353 1 592 1467 E ahead@ahead.ie W www.ahead.ie RCN 20025182